Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back to School

Boo! Michael started back to Law School yesterday and we miss him! He was exhausted after his first day and it is going to be a bit more challenging then anticipated. He needs his rest to stay awake for class, studying, and even the commute! So last night, I decided to nurse and change Eleanor in her nursery to give Michael a break and well deserved sleep. It seemed to work out for all. I was more alert, the baby was better able to fall back asleep, and Michael got rest! I will try it again tonight and see how it goes.

The first two weeks have been very interesting to say the least! We love our sweet little girl SO MUCH!! It is quite the wake up call though after being on bedrest for 5 months. Michael and I also had so much time together this summer and now it seems we can barely ask each other about one another's day! We miss each other too! No more daily matinees, I guess...for now :(

My Mom has been helping so much the last couple days as I try to figure out a routine and schedule for the little miss. I struggle with the whole "demand feeding" vs. "parent directed feeding". Parent directed feeding makes sense to get her on a schedule, but it just seems wrong to wake her from a deep sleep to nurse. I guess as she gets older, she will be better able to regulate her feedings more independently.

The nursing situation is still going...I think my body is starting to slow down the milk production, but it still HURTS, let me tell you! Eleanor is such a trooper though and continues to nurse while drowning in milk! I hope things will self-regulate within a few days.

Anyway, today we had a bath and look forward to a visit from Grandma Bubby's friend! That's a day in the life of a newborn!

"Again, I said, no photos!"

6 comments:

  1. I used the parent directed feeding with Travis, but stopped waking him up if he was in a deep sleep. I noticed that it happened at regular times during the day where he would take longer naps. I went with it and just adjusted the feeding schedule around his sleep needs and it worked out great. I hope that helps you!
    I love the pictures! She is such a cute baby and I can't wait to meet her someday:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're a great mommy! I love hearing about your days (and nights). Rest when you can...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me,too (three!) I agree 100% with your Dad and friend, Amy: she sounds like she has some good advice (don't listen to me! this is definitely not my forte'!! :) ha, ha I only have a zillion nieces & nephews~no kids!!) You do sound like a very smart Mommy; and you're taking care of Michael, too. Good luck to him at school & with nursing Eleanor. Sounds like she can't get enough of a good thing Eliz'!!!oo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Amy. I never woke my babies up...ever! and they all three fell into a every 2 1/2 to 3 hour feeding schedule on their own. My only recommendation is to not offer the breast at any and every sign of fussing. Often times they really aren't hungry and if you're always offering the breast they end up "snacking" all day as opposed to getting good, regular feedings. You're doing great! And she's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey that green outfit is so cute how is that thing baggie? what a little peanut.

    ReplyDelete